Skin Allergy Treatments
Allergy/ allergies of skin are caused by sensitivity of the immune system to substances in the surroundings.
Symptoms of Allergy of Skin
- Redness, inflammation and swelling The affected areas may cause red patches on the skin that may or may not be accompanied by swelling of the area.
- Rashes on the skin The rashes could be dry, scaly or crusty or ooze or drain.
- Itchy Skin Allergic reactions of skin could lead to dry and scaly skin causing itching.
- Papules Allergies could lead to formation of papules which are formed by elevation of skin with no visible fluid.
- Blisters Allergic reactions could cause blisters that are pockets in the skin filled with plasma or pus.
Types of Allergy of Skin
- Contact Dermatitis Contact Dermatitis causes localized irritation/ rash when the skin comes directly in contact with the allergy causing substance.
- Atopic Dermatitis Atopic dermatitis is a chronic form of allergy and is considered as a disease of the entire body as due to an excessively active immune response of the body.
Causes of Allergy of Skin
- Heredity Allergies of skin could be genetic in nature.
- Stress and Weakened immune system.
- Loss of skin barrier Loss of skin barrier allows allergens to penetrate the skin and cause allergic reactions. Frequent use of cosmetics, shampoos, lotions/ creams, frequent bathing with extremely hot water can also cause skin allergies. Exposure to latex, plastic, elastic or rubber could also trigger allergic reactions.
- Food allergies Skin allergies could be caused due to certain ingredients.
- Skin allergies can also be caused by fungal, bacterial or viral infections.
Treatment of Allergy of Skin
- Hydrocortisone cream Hydrocortisone cream is used for topical application to treat skin allergies. It helps to reduce redness, inflammation and swelling of the affected area.
- Ointments/ lotions Ointments or lotions like Calamine or Zinc Oxide are also used for topical application to treat itching and/or swelling and pain due to skin allergies.
- Antihistamines Allergy of Skin can be treated with the help of antihistamines. They help soothe redness, itching and rashes on the affected areas.