Patchy Hair Loss/ Hair Loss Treatments
Patchy loss of hair is also called Alopecia Areata. It is caused mostly due to autoimmune diseases that lead to loss of hair in patches on various parts of the body.
Causes of Hair Loss
- Autoimmune diseases Autoimmune diseases like systemic lupus erythematosus, diabetes, pernicious anaemia etc.
- Medication/ Therapy Hair loss could exist as a side effect of prescribed medication for conditions like hypothyroidism, HIV/AIDS or therapies like chemotherapy, radiation etc.
- Malnutrition Hair loss may exist due to malnutrition and mostly due to iron deficiency.
- Fungal infections Fungal infections may cause inflammation leading to hair loss.
Treatment of Hair Loss
- Mesotherapy Mesotherapy is a non-invasive therapy that stimulates hair growth factors and promotes hair growth.
- Topical Treatment Topical treatment with medication like rogaine can be used to trigger hair growth on the affected areas.
- Oral Medication Prescription drugs can be useful to treat hair loss.
- Platelet rich plasma rejuvenation This is a non-surgical process which involves injecting the patients own Platelet Rich Plasma into the scalp to stimulate hair growth.
- Hair Transplantation with Follicular unit extraction This method involves removing follicular units from the donor area and transplanting them to the receiver area on the body.
- Hair Transplant with Strip method This process involves removing strips of hair along with the skin from the back side of the scalp and dissecting them into individual grafts which are then transplanted to the affected/ required area on the body.