Laser Hair Removal Treatment
Excess growth of body and facial hair is caused due to increased levels of androgens in both, females and males. All females produce androgens in limited levels that are lesser than the levels produced in males. However, existence of certain conditions may increase the hormonal levels in females and trigger excessive growth of hair on the face and the body.
- Excessive growth of mature, dark hair on the upper lip, chin, sideburn, lower and upper abdomen, upper back, shoulders etc.
- Androgen levels increase in the levels of androgens including testosterone.
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) PCOS affects the production of hormones that trigger hair growth beyond normal levels.
- Adrenal gland disorders - Adrenal gland disorders also affect the hormonal levels and cause excessive hair growth.
- Medication Some medications could cause excessive hair growth as a side effect.
- Genetic Genetic factors could be one of the reasons for excessive hair growth.
Treatment of Excess and Unwanted body and Facial hair
- Laser Therapy - Laser therapy involves directing strong light at the hair to be absorbed by the dark pigment and destroy the hair follicle without damaging the surrounding skin. Laser therapy requires a number of sittings depending on the thickness of the hair and the growth factors.
What to expect out of Laser Therapy
- There will be multiple sessions of the treatment to achieve expected results. The number of sessions depends on the areas to be treated, the growth factors and thickness of unwanted hair.
- Laser therapy doesnt get rid of all the hair on the treatment area. Some fine textured and light colored hair could remain as they are.
- Some amount of pigmentation may exist after the therapy. Proper use of sun protection should help resolve this issue.
Advantages of Laser Therapy
- Facial and body hair follicles can be destroyed effectively.
- It is a painless therapy for removing excess/ unwanted facial and body hair.
- It consumes less time and gives long term results.
Exclusions of Laser Therapy
- Laser therapy does not achieve complete destruction of hair follicles in one appointment. A number of sittings are required for a long term benefit.
- The results vary on the grade of hair and the therapy does not remove white hair.