Acne is a skin condition caused by infection in the Sebaceous Glands. The sebaceous glands are present in the skin and they produce an oily or a waxy substance which is called Sebum. The Sebum lubricates our skin and hair. The infection grows under pores that are blocked when the oils from the sebaceous glands combine with dead skin cells and the oils build up under the skin.
Symptoms of Acne
- Redness Occurrence of red patches on the affected area.
- Scarring Scars occur due to inflamed lesion.
- Swelling Excessive production of sebum or infected sebum clogs the pores and results in swelling.
- Pain and Sensitivity - Excessive production of sebum or infected sebum clogs the pores and often makes the affected area sensitive and painful.
Causes Of Acne
- Bacterial infections Infected sebum gives rise to acne.
- Hormonal fluctuations Fluctuations in the levels of hormones could result in increase in the production of sebum, increase in the growth of skin cells and impede separation of dead skin cells causing inflammation and triggering the growth of acne causing bacteria.
- Stress Stressful lifestyles trigger secretion of stress hormones that cause inflammation.
Causes Of Acne
- Patients of all age groups experience the condition irrespective of their gender.
- Counselling Counselling is carried out as the first imperative step of diagnosis of the condition and understanding the factors that trigger development of acne/ pimples.
- Lifestyle changes One of the most common reasons for acne/ pimples is the lifestyle, hence changes are recommended to include a healthy lifestyle for long term treatment of acne.
- Skin routine Skin routine that includes customised products prescribed according to the grade of acne and skin type.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Benzoyl Peroxide is the most popular treatment for acne. It oxidises the proteins in the acne and kills the bacteria and reduces inflammation. Benzoyl peroxide has properties that increase sensitivity to the sun; hence a good quality sunscreen must be applied during the day.
- Antiinflammatory medication Medication like Retinoids help reduce the production of sebum in the sebaceous glands and normalize the follicle cell life cycle. Retinoids prevent the accumulation of dead skin cells that combine with the sebum and clog pores in the skin.
- Salicylic acid Salicylic acid treatment is for mild acne conditions. Salicylic acid unclogs the pores in the skin that have been blocked when sebum combines with dead skin cells without affecting the sebaceous glands and the production of sebum.
Chemical peels Chemical peels are an effective way to treat acne scars. They trigger exfoliation of the dead or scarred skin and help produce new skin cells. Peels with different levels of strength are carried out depending on the severity of the condition.
- Oral medications Oral medication may be prescribed depending on the severity of the condition.
- Mesotherapy Mesotherapy is a non-invasive form of treatment that introduces anti-oxidants into the skin to fight acne. It also helps produce new skin tissue and normalizes the skin tone.
- Lasers for acne Laser therapy helps remove dead skin cells and excess oils that clog the pores.
- Carbon peels with switched laser A combination of carbon peels with switched laser helps shrink the oil glands, break pigmentation and clean the pores.